Your new tattoo will take 10-14 days to heal, and will be somewhat tender. It may feel like a new sunburn. The care of your new tattoo is your responsibility. How you care for it in the first few days determines how it will look forever.
– Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
– Wash your tattoo with warm water and a mild antibacterial soap at least twice a day. Lathering with your hand.
– Rinse your tattoo well with warm water until the surface of your tattoo feels clean.
– Pat your tattoo dry with a clean paper towel and let it air dry for 5-15 minuets.
– Apply a small amount of Aquaphor (recommended) ointment to your tattoo and massage it into the skin.
– Blot excess ointment with a clean paper towel. Your tattoo should not be greasy. LESS IS MORE.
– DO NOT use a washcloth, loofa or sponge to wash your tattoo!
– DO NOT touch your tattoo with dirty hands. Don’t let anyone else either!
– DO NOT apply excess ointment. Your tattoo should not look soggy.
– DO NOT expose your tattoo to natural or artificial sunlight for a minimum of three weeks.
– DO NOT soak in a tub, pool, hot tub, ocean or lake. All contain bacteria!
– DO NOT pick or scratch your tattoo!
Days 4 – 14:
Healing tattoos will peel and flake. Small bits of colored skin will shed. It may not look as crisp the first few days and may appear hazy. This is completely normal, and will clear up in 2 – 3 weeks. Continue to wash and dry your tattoo twice per day (morning and night), as directed in day 1. Apply an unscented lotion (in place of the aquaphor) at least twice a day, after washings, being sure to use only a small amount and massage it in to the tattoo.